Thursday, September 18, 2008

Iftar




Ramadan is a time of extreme sacrifice for the Islamic people. From sunrise until sunset, they are not allowed to let anything cross their lips. No water, no soft drinks, not even a cigarette. Imagine if you had to walk around for a month from sunrise to sunset in 125 degree heat without your lips touching anything.

At night, after the fasting, there is a thing called Iftar. An Iftar is a chance for all the fasting people to get together and rejoice in seeing food again.

We have hosted five Iftar overall, it is a good opportunity to get Iraqis talking, and I have been to two of them. I thought you might enjoy seeing some photos.

Oh yeah, the guy in the bottom photo is like the Iraqi Robert Goulet. Just look at the showmanship.

3 comments:

doczak said...

Can you imagine us trying to fast on a Packer Sunday...I wouldn't last 5 minutes. Do you get to watch the Packers? The Brewers are giving it away. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Unknown said...

Hey, Dan!

Just saying hello from Milwaukee. Your blog in very instructive, man. I've learned a lot. Good thing my husband (Griffin) sent me the link.

Keep safe, since cool does not seem an option.

Ester

Goodie Good Stuff said...

Greetings from a conservative in Southern California. Contrary to what is being said in the media, there are many conservatives here in SoCal and are behind all you in Irag 100%

God Bless and thanks for all you do!