Okay so the photo has nothing to do with a legal aid project, but with Christmas coming certain individuals need to picture how awesome I would look strolling around FOB Warhorse in these bad boys.I don't think I have gotten very specific on what exactly I'm doing day-to-day here, so I thought I would give an update on what is going on work-wise. The biggest thing on my plate right now is trying to establish a legal defense clinic of some sort here in Diyala. I have written previously about the terribly overcrowded conditions in the local jails and detention centers. If any of those prisoners has ever seen a lawyer I would be shocked, let alone discussed his case with one. In fact, I have repeatedly been told by the police and judges here that they would never allow a defendant to speak with his lawyer in private. I was told, "if they are allowed to speak in private, the lawyers could try and teach them how to get out of it (the criminal charges)." I think these guys need a field trip to the U.S. and a DVD of the (first) O.J. trial.
The prisoners are routinely brought into the judge's chambers for their "hearing" without the benefit of real counsel. The government does pay a small pittance to their version of a "public defender" who basically is paid to stand there while the judges and police do exactly what they would do if the "public defender" wasn't there. Given a prosecutor shortage in Diyala, there is rarely a prosecutor assigned to a case. Basically, the defendant is going it alone.
So, armed with a surprisingly small amount of your tax dollars I am going to try and rectify the situation inasmuch as that is possible. I've met with several local defense attorneys who appear to be on-board. I am in the process of writing the proposal and hopefully a year's worth of funds will be forthcoming. Once attorneys begin representing the prisoners, we can start working on getting them to allow private meetings between client and counsel. Progress around here is measured in inches. Iraqi law actually provides for private meetings, but the law is ignored. The law also calls for strict time limits on how long a defendant can be held without charges being issues, hearings held, etc. They too are ignored. It is my hope that if we fire up some local attorneys, they will start to hold the police and judge's feet to the fire. I'm not sure if I'm naive or stupid (I'm pretty sure it is a healthy dose of both).
On a completely unrelated note, do you know how disheartening it is to wake up at 3:00 a.m. to listen to the Brewers lose?
1 comment:
Not too unrelated:
Are you with the Civil Affairs group out of Green Bay?
Post a Comment