The above photos were taken at a going away ceremony for the CA (civil affairs) unit that has supported the PRT for the last year. The bottom photo is the Rule of Law team: MAJ Corson, Mohammed (our translator) and myself.
This week marks three months since I first set foot in Iraq. From my perspective the time has gone by quickly, but I'm sure that Irene would disagree (especially considering the extra month and a half that I spent in DC prior to leaving). Things here have been extremely crowded, as the current regiment is leaving and the new brigade is arriving. That is pretty much over at this point, however. The friends that I have made in the three months here have mainly been with the military officers, so it too bad to see them leave.
MAJ Corson, who is the only other lawyer working on Rule of Law issues with me, is leaving at the end of this week. He will be sorely missed. He is the elected County Attorney (prosecutor) in a small Minnesota community, and has been awesome to work with. He has already done a year in Afghanistan and now a year in Iraq, so I guess he has more than earned the right to go home.
As I'm typing this blog entry, it is raining about as hard as possible. This is the first time it has rained since I've been here. Looks like my trailer leaks a lot and seeing as how everything here is dirt, I have mud running down my walls. Awesome. (I'd show you a picture but my camera is in my office).
This past week we had a memorial service for a soldier that was killed here on the FOB. It was extremely sad. He left behind a four month old baby. I would tell you more, but the details aren't for public consumption yet.
I'm leaving for Baghdad soon to tour some prisons and other facilities down there. That will begin the long journey back to Milwaukee. I can't wait to see my first Packers game of the year.
1 comment:
Middle picture, the Army guy standing just to the right of the post, on the step:
Anyone tell him he looks JUST LIKE the original CO of the TV "Mash" series?
Post a Comment